Many years ago now, we interviewed Kim Evans about the release of her first cookbook and she gave us the recipe for her hot cross buns. Years later, she has four cafes and two cookbooks, and these hot cross buns are still the best we’ve ever made. Fool proof. Happy Easter!
40g fresh compressed yeast (see if your local bakery will sell this to you, otherwise you can use 20g of dried yeast)
1.5 cups of lukewarm milk
125g sugar (caster)
600g strong flour
2Tbsp Mixed Spice
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of salt
3 cups sultanas
1/2 cup mixed peel
Place in saucepan and boil together until sugar is dissolved
1. Pour the milk over the yeast and stir to dissolve.
2. Add the sugar to the milk/yeast mixture
3. Put the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine, add the milk mixture and egg and knead for approximately ten minutes. Then add the fruit to the dough and knead through until combined evenly through the dough.
4. Leave to prove for 30-40 minutes until the dough doubles in size.
5. Tip dough onto a floured bench and roll out to 4 cm thick and using a knife cut into squares approximately 4cm cubes.
6. Place on a lined tray and let it prove again until doubled in size (takes around 40 minutes)
7. Make the crosses by mixing 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water to make a paste, pour into a piping bag and pipe over the buns
8. Place in a preheated oven 200c then turn down to 180c and bake until brown approximately 20 minutes
9. When ready remove from oven and paint glaze over the buns.
10. Prepare to have friends and family flock to your home in pursuit of the delicious scents coming from your kitchen.